Thursday, April 19, 2012

It's not my life!

Here is what people who belong to this world do. They try to satisfy what their sinful natures want to do. They long for what their sinful eyes look at. They brag about what they have and what they do. All of this comes from the world. It doesn't come from the Father. The world and its evil longings are passing away. But those who do what God wants them to do live forever.
(1 John 2:16-17)

We will never be satisfied with the things of this world. No matter what we have, tomorrow there will be newer, bigger, better, faster, more efficient. The next product will offer more gadgets. The next vehicle will have more options. The next home will have more features. The next job will have more benefits. The next vacation will have more activities. It never stops!

I see it in children and adults. We love to show off our new toys; a new video game, action figure, a pair of shoes, or the new car or home. It is human nature. Many times we do not even realize we are doing it!

Paul warns us well here as he looks over his life.

I never want to brag about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Through that cross the ways of the world have been crucified as far as I am concerned. And I have been crucified as far as the ways of the world are concerned.
(Galatians 6:14)

As some of my friends in New Orleans wrote in a song . . . "I've been crucified with Christ . . . He lives in me it's not my life!" Great advice and a great life motto: it's not my life.

Who are we living for anyway? What does our check book say when we open it up? What would our spouse or children say about our life? Where is our life being spent? Do we reflect a life spent on the things of this world or the things of God? What matters to us?

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...