Thursday, January 5, 2012

Don't Worry . . . You Are Not Lost

The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
(Zephaniah 3:17)

I guess I realize that I am getting old because I am beginning to have dreams about the future and where my wife and children will be . . . I think of how they will react when I pass on . . .I wonder how long I will live . . . I even pray for a certain number of years if possible. But one thing I am sure about . . . I am not lost and neither are they! Anyone who knows Christ personally has a secure future.

Just last evening I was awakened from a dream where I was searching for my youngest son Michael. I was frantic . . . where is he? There had been some sort of disaster and people were everywhere. While I did find him in my dream, once awake I pondered the future if I was not around . . . are my children secure? . . . have I bulit into them the promises of Scripture? . . . will my wife be prepared for life without me?

Then I realized I was being selfish in a way. They all trust God in their own way. They all profess a faith in the Savior. God has them! While it was satisfying to know this, I still began to plead with God for days to be with them, to teach them, to enjoy life with them so it would make the reunion in heaven even that much more enjoyable. Though I lost sleep, I gained some peace . . .

God wants us to be at peace. As the prophet encouraged the people above, He wants us to live without fears, without despair, and without an attitude of resignation. God is not only with us now, but those who know Him will be with him for eternity! Here Zephaniah speaks of a people beyond the rivers of Ethiopia way beyond his knowledge of known territories at the time that would honor and praise God! It is encouraging to us todaythat God sees beyond our vision and plans. If we know God, despite the circumstances we can be encouraged . . . Don't worry, you are not lost! Jesus reminds us:

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.
(Luke 19:10)

Jesus came to save us from this world of sin, disappointment, and despair. As we live, let us make the most of our days and influence everyone (especially family) concerning the things of God as long as we are able! The days on earth may be short, but the rewards in heaven are eternally ours!

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...