Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What Can Man Possibly Do?

I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mortal men, the sons of men, who are but grass, that you forget the Lord your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, that you live in constant terror every day because of the wrath of the oppressor, who is bent on destruction? For where is the wrath of the oppressor?
(Isaiah 51:12-13)

In Isaiah 51, the Lord calls the people of Israel to be conforted in Him, to trust in Him just as they did when He led them out of Egypt. He reminds them of all He has done to relieve them of man's wrath and oppression. There is salvation to come!

Of all God has done for you and me, not even to mention our promised eternal life with Him, when we really ponder it, what can man possibly do? C'mon, really think about this now . . . .

We have been forgiven of sin . . . freed from the bondage of this world . . . promised by the Creator to be taken to His home forever one day . . . and we fear man?

Oh I know the pressures of the economy, our children's college education, and our grandchildren's quality of life. However, if we trust in the promises of God, live a life visibly leaning on Him, and truly walk by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7)then again I ask, "What can man possibly do?"

The writer of Hebrews was not blowing smoke when he wrote:

Never will I leave you;never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”
(Hebrews 13:5-6)

If more believers lived such a life, what would the watching world see? What would our children and grandchildren observe? As we ponder the future, let's look back over the years and remember the God who has conforted us, protected us, and provided for us. As Isaiah posed the question to the Israelites, may I put it to us today?

And where is the fury of the oppressor?
(Isaiah 51:13)

God is still God!!!!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...