Thursday, November 24, 2011

What About the Family?

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
(Ephesians 4:1-6)

Like Paul, we are locked in with Christ. But it is not by chains that keep us in bondage, but bonds that free us from sin and the restrictions of this world! However, now that we have experienced such freedom from such a gracious God, we need to live it out so the world can see.

There is no room for sectarian spirits . . . attitudes that divide the family of believers and cause division from church to church. We are to make every effort to maintain and even improve our unity! In the early church, public baptism identified one as a Christian. In this day, our public expression of love, grace, and unity needs to be seen and felt by those who come into contact with family members.

Listen to Jesus' words . . .

I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world . . . will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
(John 17:20-23)

I love my family! I am fortunate to also have biological family members who belong to God's family. In the brief eighteen years of my service for Christ, I have been blown away by the love, care, and support from my immediate family . . . my home church. When I have been rejected by blood, those who are under the BLOOD have been there for me. When family have not understood, those in God's family have been able to encourage and support me. I have come to understand what one Body means. I have come to cherish real family.

Though I still love, miss, and pray for the family God birthed me into, I cherish so much the family He has made available to me in the Church . . . my home church and the many I have met in mission travels. These family members have filled in the gaps and voids I have experienced over the years as I have faced loneliness, separation, character assaults, changes in careers, relationships, and other issues.

Yet most of all, I am thankful for my bride and children (and grandchildren)that God has allowed to me. His love and grace is reflected in their love for me. He has shown me myself many times in my marriage, my treatment of my children, and other family endeavors.

God has blessed me indeed . . . despite the things I do not have, I have so much!
I am learning to be content, whether full or in need. I know God has my best interest in mind and that He is still working things out. I have to trust Him and where He has me . . . in one Body and under the rule of one Lord!

I thank my God and my family for all I have this Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Stuff will happen

Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever. They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast,...