Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Value in Discipline

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
(Proverbs 3:11-12)

As a father of four and now a grandfather of five, I see the value in discipline. I really love my kids! I was not always right when I acted, but I acted in love! I do not want my children to fall into the same traps that were set for me!

The best thing we can do as parents is to raise our children with a working knowledge of God's Word so they KNOW the TRUTH and when left all alone in this world, they also can feel HIS presence. We have to let our children know that we are only given one life to live and we must be accountable to the Lord. We as parents are God's representatives to our children and unfortunately, we do not always do such a good job!

However, we have an oportunity to share the grace He gives each of us with our children! Admit our faults . . . apologize . . . change course if need be . . . but be real and be honest! Discipline is not always punishment, but always a guide and a teacher. If we do not discipline our children, we show a lack of love.

Just as God disciplines those whom He loves, we too have a responsibiility before God to be directly involved in our children's lives. Pursue them . . . especially in their teen years. Do not stand in the background. Even today, I am seeking my dad's respect and approval that I never received as a child. However, I have learned to seek after God's approval even more! Can we teach our children to seek after God . . . to please Him? When the world fails our children (and it will)there is ALWAYS the FATHER!

On a day when people regret decisions and even attempt to pray for those already dead and gone, we need to realize today is the day to be proactive. Today we need to make decisions to share the love (discipline)of God with our children and all young people, before it is too late! Tomorrow is too late!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...