Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Guidelines for Young (and Old) Folks

Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
(2 Timothy 2:22)

Practically speaking, how can a young person possibley stay pure and morally grounded in these days? Paul gives some really sound advice to a young Timothy above. God always gives us a choice. Here it is very simply: flee evil and run after (pursue) righteousness. Stop running after all the things everyone else is trying to attain and focus on the plans God has for you. This requires decisions and dedication.

Listen to this psalm of wisdom . . .

How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.

I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, LORD; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
(Psalm 119:9-16)

One has to know His Word in order to live it out. There are things that must be avoided in order to follow God and His guidelines. Foolish things of the world (idle time, wasted time, laziness, too much time doing nothing )and taking unwise paths on a whim, just to be one of the guys can snuff out a life. Days must be planned out with wisdom. Young people have such a future, but it cannot be attained by following others' designs for their lives! God has a perfect plan and to discover it it takes time with God and His people, not the world and its ways. It takes heart . . . all of the heart . . .dedication. Just as an athlete or musician spends hours a day perfecting his craft, one must be dedicated to spend time with God. One must pursue virtue in this day . . . it is not offered nor preferred everywhere!

Here is another clear outline from another familiar wisdom psalm . . .

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night.
(Psalm 1:1-2)

The one who spends time with the things of God is happy . . . successful . . . and fulfilled. It is a fact: We become the company we keep! It is a choice we make daily.

Very simple guidelines for young (and old) folks today.

God is still God!

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...