Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bruised in Battle . . . yet Better for It!

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.
(Isaiah 53:5)

The Lord is indeed victorious. The battle over sin and death has been won! However, he was severely bruised in the battle, yet we are better for it!

Not much in life comes without struggle, yet we even as BELIEVERS, like the easy way out. Human nature tells us to take the easy road. God challenges us to be bold and courageuous however.

Do you recall . . .even the Yellow Brick Road had struggles for Dorothy before she made it home! But along the way, she realized the value of family and the simple things we take for granted, like wisdom, courage, and love. What if she had turned back?

I was raised to be the one who spoke his mind. I have learned not to back down from challenges. I learned it from my mom, sports, my wife and (since becoming saved) from my pastor and others in the faith who who have been battle-tested can be trusted! It is not always the popular or the option thing however.

Jesus took on the fight for our souls and won. He wants us to go to battle as well. Like Jacob, sometimes we have to face the world, other believers . . . sometimes even God! It's ok to have differences among ourselves. It is even ok to struggle with God. . . .if it is done with respect, dignity, and with a desired outcome to become better! Recall Jacob's fight . . .
But Jacob replied, "I won't let you go unless you bless me." The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will not be Jacob anymore. Instead, it will be Israel. You have struggled with God and with men. And you have won."

Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you want to know my name?" Then he blessed Jacob there. So Jacob named the place Peniel. He said, "I saw God face to face. But I'm still alive!" The sun rose above Jacob as he passed by Peniel. He was limping because of his hip
. (Genesis 32:26-31)


Jacob walked with a limp for the rest of his life. It reminded him of his struggle with God sure. It also reminded him of his personal relationship with God. I am sure it gave him confidence later.

As we struggle, do not be afraid to get a few bruises . . . face some conflicts . . . even lose a few along the way . . . to the glory of God! We will all be better for it.

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...