Friday, August 12, 2011

Braggin' Rights

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.
(Philippians 3:7-8)

If Paul (formally Saul the Pharisee) could write these words, then who are we to boast in anything we think we have accomplished? Paul had it goin' on! He was of Jewish blood, a Benjamite, a teacher of the Law, a Hebrew through and through. He was so zealous for the Law that he authorized the persecution of Christians.(Acts 8:1-3 To top it off, he was a Roman citizen as well.(Acts 22:26-29)Oh, if one could brag, it was Paul!

Paul saw the value of being justified by faith in Christ, rather than the college degree, the political position, the job title, or the general applause of men. He realized it was not the car he drove, the neighborhood he lived in, or the company of his friends. It was not that he was born into a good family, but that God accepted him into the family of God! Paul was truly born again! What made him was Who made him! His braggin' rights were in Jesus Chriist alone!

Anyone who comes to me must hate his father and mother. He must hate his wife and children. He must hate his brothers and sisters. And he must hate even his own life. Unless he does, he can't be my disciple. Anyone who doesn't carry his cross and follow me can't be my disciple
. (Luke 14:26-27)

Paul understood these words. Yet, they are difficult words for us to follow today. Jesus is not saying that we ought to hate our families. We are to love our families and honor those relationships, but not above God! Knowing the Lord and what He accomplishes through us far outweighs anyone we know or anything we can do. His blood is far more important than family blood lines!

There comes a time in every CHRISTian's life where he must decide whom to follow: family, friends, co-workers, political parties, or CHRIST. Whom will we serve this day . . . tomorrow, for the rest of our lives? Joshua's words were never more meaningful than today . . .

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.
(Joshua 24;15)

No comments:

4-24-24 . . . .backward and forward . . . today is today no matter how we write it.

Today is 4-24-24. No matter if we write it forward or backward, it is still 4-24-24. This reminds me of my scripture today . . . Look at God...