Saturday, July 23, 2011

Man Up

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
(Psalm 119:9-11)

I recall my struggles with purity early on in my Christian walk. When a man is in the world, he is encouraged to "sow his wild oats" and "be a man". once he turns 18 or 21, whichever is the case. His actions are excused as being immature, inexperienced, or just being a man!

In this society, more and more women are taking care of boys; men who are still acting like immature little babies (no job, no homes,no responsibilities, no common sense). In fact, I have had heard it said that men today are simply grown up little boys in need of a momma. It seems to be true and our women seem to be accepting it!

I thought it was hopeless to live a pure life. How can a man change old habits? What will happen when all my friends think I am weird? But as God worked on me and others challenged me to honor God and my family, things have changed! But it is not me . . .it is His Word. . . His Spirit living within me. God has given me a new job, serving Him. He has given me new friends who love the Lord. He has improved my relationship with my wife and family. He makes it all make sense!

Men, let's hear from Paul. He too was once all wrapped up in the world . . . a Pharisee of Pharisees, Hebrew of Hebrews, raised in the finest schools and a fine Roman citizen (Acts 22). . . yet he became a man of God.

When I was a child, I talked like a child. I thought like a child. I had the understanding of a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
(1 Corinthians 13:11)

Time to man up . . .

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...