Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Need for Discipline . . . Not Just for Kids!

“Teach me, and I will be quiet;show me where I have been wrong. How painful are honest words! But what do your arguments prove?"
(Job 6:24-25)

We sometimes forget that discipline is a never ending requirement in our maturation processs. As Job answers the accusations of Eliphaz concerning his situation, he states that correction is good when it is honest and good for the person.

Tha Amplified Bible reads as follows:
Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are lavish and deceitful.
(Proverbs 27:6)

Anyone can criticize a person or say they are wrong. They may not know the entire situation however, judging from the surface of things.A true friend knows us and the situation and can give sound and Godly counsel.

I am so thankful for the real friends I do have. Oh there are many who like what we do and think it is so noble. Many support our work financially and we are so grateful for that!

However, the ones I cherish the most are those who know and care for me so much that they tell me when I am wrong, when I can do more, and when I need to just suck it up and get the job done! These same folks cheer for me when the whole world seems to be booing (or ignoring me!) They pump me up when others have taken the wind from my sails. They confort me when I have been slapped around a bit too much.

And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:“ My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD,Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;For whom the LORD loves He chastens,And scourges every son whom He receives.”
(Hebrews 12:5-6)

It appears this Greek word for discipline(paideia)involves a form of punishment with the idea of training and education in mind; in other words, not just hitting to punish, but correcting with the deed or goal of training and educating the child. Of course, as we note, the child extends to we adults as children of God.

The need for discipline is not just for kids!

I thank God for using my bride, my pastor, and several caring and honest ministers and friends who have loved me enough to chasten me! Still growing . . .

No comments:

Anxious? Fearful? Unsure? Seek His PEACE minute by minute.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the...