Friday, June 24, 2011

Faith in Action

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
(James 1:22)

I remember my parents saying time and time again, "Do as I say, not as I do!" This ws always confusing to me. Why do I have to do this and that, when you cannot? The times I actually voiced this was not a pleasant time of course. I was reminded not to talk back to my parents and to obey! Yet I still ask, Why tell someone to do something that I cannot do?

Here is the answer right from the lips of the Savior:

Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.
(John 5:19)

Jesus taught by example, not simply by giving orders. I have tried to do this as a parent and mentor. To truly disciple someone, one has to walk closely by the side of another and model the desired behavior.

As Christians in this world today, it can be hard, knowing we are under a microsope as others watch our behavior, waiting for a fall. All the more reason to walk circumspectly (Ephesians 5:15-16)as others observe our behavior and attribute what we do to all followers of Christ. We never know when we will have an opportunity to share the Gospel or with whom, so our character is important . . . every day!

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
(Peter 2:120. The world may not like us and poke fun at us, yet we still do the right things. They will know who to call upon when things get tough!

Paul, Peter, James . . . they received it directly from the Lord as we should: We have to live out the things we believe! It is not enough to instruct: We have to model! Seeing is believing. Folks today need to see our faith in action!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...