Thursday, March 17, 2011

Who's Number 1?

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.(Mark 10:45)

We are in March and it seems everyone is MAD! It used to be known as the NCAA basketball playoffs. Now it's March Madness and everyone is taking a piece of the action!March Madness slaes and discounts . . . march Madness pools at work . . . even bracketology classes!Everyone is an expert and everyone wants to benefit somehow from what began as sixteen teams vying for a college basketball championship.

Here in Mark, jesus had been tested by the Pharisees on divorce. He confronted the disciples for chasing away the little children. He addressed the rich young ruler.He talked about His impending death. Then James and John had a request:Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory. (Mark 10:37)After all Jesus had been speaking about, relationships, innocence, and unselfishness, those closest to Him asked the age old question: What's in it for me?

Jesus' answer in verse 45 was basically this: It's not about you! Me last as people say today! You (me)It is Jesus, Others, then You (me). JOY

It's madness alright . . .In a few weeks one group of students will be chanting throughout the campus . . . "We're Number 1!" Well, WHO is really number one . . . not you or me!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...