Wednesday, March 30, 2011

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.(Revelation 2:17)

Jesus addreses the church in Pergamum and lets them know that He knows all about their struggles in Revelation 2:12-16. He told them He knew Satan was all around them yet they remained true to Him. They kept their faith. They remained believers. Yet some still held on to false teachings, worshipped idols, and lived a promiscuous lifestyle. Some held onto doctrinal teachings more so than they cherished their realtionship to the Lord.

Jesus could address us in the same manner this day . . . 2011. Oh sure, we still claim Jesus as Lord and Savior. We still faithfully worship and share the Gospel, yet we still hold on to the idols of our day. We cannot do without the SUV, the large home, the clothes, the shoes, the newest electronic gadget. I need my ESPN, NFL and MLB networks. My child must have _____________ (fill in the blank). I just cannot shop at Wal-Mart or Target or Payless for my clothes and shoes . . . what will people think? Does any of this sound familiar? Oh, did I mention that my church is the best church? We have the best music ministry and just do so much for so many . . .

Yes, we love the Lord and trust Him with our eternal souls. But do we trust Him enough to worship Him and Him alone? Do we really believe the wise Solomon?(Proverbs 3:4-6)Do we live out the words of Jeremiah?(Jeremiah 29:11)Are we living sacrifices for the Lord, turning from this world's corruption and greed? (Romans 12:1-2).

There are rewards awaiting those who overcome the lusts and greed of this world. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord! (Joshua 24:15)

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...