Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Commitment to Celebrate

“Remember your word to your servant,
for you have given me hope. This is what comforts me in my trouble,
for your promise revives me. Arrogant people do nothing but scoff at me.
Yet I do not turn aside from your law.” (Psalm 119:49-51)


My hope comes from God alone. His promise to sustain is all I can cling to at times. It’s not an empty promise or a vain hope, but a secure commitment from the God who never goes back on His word. It’s a promise from a God who never fails. It’s a guarantee from a God who cannot lie! In whom else can I put my faith in this present world? Oh, I realize my wife sticks right beside me and there are friends and family members who think what we are doing is deserving of praise and even a little support. But when I lie awake in the middle of the night or pour my heart out to my DADDY as I ride along with Him in the car, I realize it’s God and God alone who can come through every time and on time! It seems ridiculous to some, but I know God has a plan for us (Jeremiah 29:11) and He will come through, just as He did for Moses, Joshua, (Joshua 1:5-9) and so many more!

“Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus and released them. So they left the council rejoicing because they had been considered worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name. And every day both in the temple courts and from house to house, they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus was the Christ.” (Acts 5:40-41 NET)


Like the disciples who were tried, beaten, and ridiculed publically in times past, I count it an honor to be made fun of for my feeble attempts to serve others and bring them a bit closer to the Savior. Folks look at us and wonder why. They see the work we do, compare it to the pay, and comment (mostly behind our backs) “How foolish”. Some have been so bold to suggest we are freeloading off of others. Wow! The best I can do is to pray for them…and us as well. Most people just don’t know the struggles and sacrifice it takes to do your best to live to please God and attempt to honor the calling He has placed upon us. It is very seldom easy, but is always rewarding.

When a child smiles at completing a homework assignment; draws us a picture depicting their thanks; or is encouraged by winning a game; we are rewarded. When a single mom gives a tearful testimony as to the spiritual and physical growth of their children, we are rewarded. When God whispers “well done” after a challenging few days of activity, we are rewarded. When an individual or family expresses their encouragement, offers to pray for us, or even sends a financial gift, we feel the Lord’s hand of support and we are rewarded. Our arms are lifted up (Exodus 17:12) and our strength is renewed (Isaiah 40:31).

As the freed Irish slave Patrick once said some 1600 years ago, “If I have any worth, it is to live my life for God.” That’s the legacy I seek to leave behind. Let’s celebrate that kind of commitment!

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...