Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Forgive Me…Forgive You…Forgive Ourselves?

“You are God's chosen people. You are holy and dearly loved. So put on tender mercy and kindness as if they were your clothes. Don't be proud. Be gentle and patient. Put up with each other. Forgive the things you are holding against one another. Forgive, just as the Lord forgave you. And over all of those good things put on love. Love holds them all together perfectly as if they were one. Let the peace that Christ gives rule in your hearts. As parts of one body, you were appointed to live in peace. And be thankful. Let Christ's word live in you like a rich treasure. Teach and correct each other wisely. Sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing with thanks in your hearts to God. Do everything you say or do in the name of the Lord Jesus. Always give thanks to God the Father through Christ.” (Colossians 3:12-17 NIrV)

As the Bible tells us, we are to forgive others when they harm us, even if they do not ask! It gives us a peace within our own heart if nothing else. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a problem forgiving others. That is easy for me.

“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:8-9 NIrV)

I also have no problem admitting I am a sinner and I have a daily need to confess my sins to the Father and I know I receive His forgiveness. I know I am clean in His sight because of Christ’s blood sacrifice for me and His powerful demonstration of His authority over sin by being raised from the grave by God.

“I know the lawless acts I've committed.
I can't forget my sin.” (Psalm 51:3 NIrV)


Herein lays the struggle I face: I know I am a sinner, but just can’t forget that fact! Not just that: my sins haunt me at times. They disgust me. They tempt me. They seem at times to pursue me!

“Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.” (Romans 7:20 NIrV)

I face the battle every day. My sin nature is at war with Spirit living within me. I must realize it not me, but the sin. It makes me keenly aware of how despicable I am without Christ. It makes me desire to be with Him now and in eternity. Forgive me, as I forgive you, and we help one another to forgive ourselves and live in His power! Maranatha!

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...