Tuesday, September 30, 2008

09 30 08 Leave It All on the Field

“I know what you are doing. I know you aren't cold or hot.
I wish you were either one or the other! But you are lukewarm. You aren't hot or cold.
So I am going to spit you out of my mouth.” (Revelation 3:15-16 NIrV)


It is said that playing to a tie in sports is like kissing your sister. It’s got to be worse than that! At least your sister is not your enemy! How frustrating to put all your energy into 60 minutes or so of physical torture, only to end up in a tie? That’s ludicrous. That’s one reason I can’t endure hockey or soccer: all that energy and so little scoring, and they still allow for ties!

Growing up an athlete (and still believing I am one in my mind!), I was taught and trained to LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD. If I had any energy left, besides the energy to drag myself into the locker room, than I hadn’t given my all. And if my team had lost, then I felt responsible. On the other hand, if I gave it all and lost, then I knew I had done all I could!

We see many references to sports in the Bible, especially from the apostle Paul. I imagine he was a fan of the many sporting events and competitions in the Romans and Greek cultures and an admirer of the athlete’s strength, commitment, and competitive spirit He refers to the boxer and runner (1 Corinthians 9:26-27) and the athlete in 2 Timothy 2:5. He compares physical training and spiritual training in 1Timothy 4:8. Even the psalmist talks of the strongman in reference to the power and majesty of the sunrise (Psalm 19:5).

No doubt Jesus was trained for ministry as he grew in strength and wisdom gained the favor of God and man (Luke 2:40). Jesus then LEFT IT ALL ON THE FIELD if you would, as He sacrificed Himself totally for you and me! Through all the temptations, all the trials, all the pain and suffering, He was prepared for battle and pressed on, accepting nothing but total victory. And He won!!!

“Brothers and sisters, God has shown you his mercy. So I am asking you to offer up your bodies to him while you are still alive. Your bodies are a holy sacrifice that is pleasing to God. When you offer your bodies to God, you are worshiping him.” (Romans 12:1 NIrV)

Brothers and sisters, I exhort us all today not to accept any ties when it comes to this world and our pursuit of God’s will for our lives. Accept no compromise. Take no prisoners. Even when facing pitfalls, fumbles, and errors along the way, do not give in. There is no tie in this spiritual battle! There is no half in or half out. Hot or cold…there is no lukewarm! We are not called Quitians, but Christians! A great athlete sacrifices for his team. Christians sacrifice for their God and for their fellow family members. In this day and age, we must LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD! Jesus did……

No comments:

4-24-24 . . . .backward and forward . . . today is today no matter how we write it.

Today is 4-24-24. No matter if we write it forward or backward, it is still 4-24-24. This reminds me of my scripture today . . . Look at God...