Wednesday, September 3, 2008

09 03 08 Saved to be Sent

“I heard the voice of the sovereign master say, ‘Whom will I send? Who will go on our behalf?’” I answered, ‘Here I am, send me’” (Isaiah 6:8 NET)

Having been in the presence of God, the prophet had been forgiven and was so overjoyed, he was willing to serve God any way he could. However, the Lord also told Isaiah that he had to go and preach to a nation that would not listen to him or the Word of God. That had to be a bit frustrating, but he obeyed nonetheless. Sometimes it’s better not to know the outcome of our work! However dismal it sounded, Isaiah obeyed because God promised that some would hear and eventually the Savior would come forth from these people. (Isaiah 11:1)

“When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. So Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. Just as the Father has sent me, I also send you.’ And after he said this, he breathed on them and said, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit.’” (John 20:20-22 NET)

Imagine the downhearted disciples of Jesus: Their Savior dead. Their King buried. Their lives at stake! Then here He was, in their presence, ALIVE! They saw the awful marks He bore from the beatings and the crucifixion. However, He brought a message of “Peace” and He brought a challenge to His followers: “Go and tell everyone what you know of Me and what you see now. Tell them everything I have told and modeled in front of you. I send you!”

Isaiah was SAVED TO BE SENT as were the early disciples. Jesus is still sending His followers today. He sends us to our families and to our co-workers. He sends us to the stores and the playgrounds. He also sends us to the uncomfortable and challenging places that my not be so familiar. Like Isaiah we have been forgiven. Like the disciples we have received the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8) and possess the power to do the things even Jesus did.

Here is the challenge: will we answer, “Here I am, send me"? We are SAVED TO BE SENT. Will we uphold our end of the bargain?

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...