Thursday, August 14, 2008

08 14 08 Meekness…not Weakness

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” (Matthew 5:5 NIV)

Many, even in the church, think that to be meek is to be weak. But the opposite is true. What the Bible is talking about is a powerful virtue. Strong enough to be gentle comes close to defining MEEKNESS. Power under control is another way to picture MEEKNESS. True MEEKNESS is best seen in Christ. He was submissive, never resisting or disputing the will of God. His absolute trust in the Father enabled Him to show compassion, courage, and self-sacrifice even in the most hostile situation. Now let's apply this to ourselves. When we are meek, we will bear insults without lashing out in proud resentment or retaliation. We'll thank God in every circumstance, while using every circumstance, good or bad, as an occasion to submit to Him. MEEKNESS would be WEAKNESS if it meant yielding to sin. But because it stems from goodness and godliness, it is a great strength.

Within just one week, I recently (Summer 2008) was blessed to sit under the teaching of my most loved and respected preachers. Beginning on a Sunday while vacationing with old friends, I heard that God can still shake up the world and things around us if we‘ll worship through the trial as Paul and Silas. (Acts 16) Then I listened to my pastor on-line (I was still away with family) and I received the challenge to stay in the battle despite circumstances and to lean on my faith and the power of the Holy Spirit to cause my family to say, “There’s no place like home”. (Mark 10). Then I received an e-mail from a dear friend who reminded me that his sermon the following Sunday would be on the topic of God’s discipline and judgment, yet how much hope that gives a believer. God indeed chastens those whom He loves! Finally, on Wednesday evening I was instructed from Luke 19 just how much Jesus was in total control of the situation, despite knowing the immediate future included His crucifixion. Jesus was quick to remind those around Him that those who reject the Savior will one day receive God’s wrath. (Luke 19:41-44)

It’s amazing how the Spirit works through Godly men and women as they follow His lead. All during my vacation I was experiencing the awesome power, gentleness, and beauty of my DADDY in His people and His creation. Then I returned home to hear the messages of His power, His Spirit, His meekness, His grace, and even His coming again!

I took this as a strong reminder from the Lord that He is still on the throne despite my circumstances and as I trust Him, He’ll work it all out according to His will. It’s just a matter of my trust; my faith in Him! I have the power that raised my Jesus in my possession in the person of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8). Yet I must yield to Him with MEEKNESS for Him to use me properly. This may seem like WEAKNESS at times to the world, but that’s ok with me! I choose to stay in the battle!

No comments:

Anxious? Fearful? Unsure? Seek His PEACE minute by minute.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the...