Monday, June 23, 2008

06 23 08 Blessed Beyond Measure
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I have come so they can have life. I want them to have it in the fullest possible way.”
(John 10:10 NIrV)


Ever hear the slogan, “It’s my money and I want it now!” How relevant to the culture we live in today! We really do believe we are entitled to the best. After all, we work hard, we work long, and we deserve to enjoy the fruit of our labor! This same attitude has found its way into the church as well. “I am a child of God; I am blessed and highly favored; I deserve…” Wait a minute!

When Jesus was speaking concerning the Good Shepherd, He described how sheep follow their shepherd and his voice. He protects them, nurtures them and leads them to peaceful green pastures. He protects from attack and shelters from harm. The sheep depend upon his guidance. He gives them a chance at life as best as he can give. So how did we become duped by the wolf!

We deserve nothing but death because of our sin. We are not entitled to anything! It’s only because of the blood of Jesus Christ that we receive favor with the Almighty! He and He alone grants us life…abundant life…in the fullest possible way…beyond our human measure.

When we face struggles, we want to blame God for not holding up His end of the bargain. But He never promised us a rose garden. We were promised troubles, storms, and challenges however. Just as the Son of Man suffered, we too will suffer with Him and for Him. We forget that part of the salvation bargain. We want abundant life now. Well, if we had it now, would we look forward to heaven? Would we say “Come Lord Jesus”? Rather, most of us would say, “Hold on, I like it here!”


“Jesus replied, "You don't realize now what I am doing.
But later you will understand."
(John 13:7 NIrV)


As for me, I have been challenged lately trying to understand what God is doing. At times I don’t really know. But I must trust the Good Shepherd to lead me. I may not be overjoyed at my circumstances, but later I will understand. Battles are not fought in a day and wars are not won without sacrifice. But even still, I receive glimpses of what it will be like one day with Him.

I do have life in abundance! The look of admiration from my wife, a word or gesture of appreciation from my children; my grandchildren reaching out toward me; the joy of experiencing someone accept Christ; hearing in some special way, “Well done” that only I can hear. These things bring joy and let me know I am BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE, even on this side of glory!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...