Monday, May 19, 2008

05 19 08 God and His Work First


“When he went through the city gate, there was a widow gathering wood. He called out to her, “Please give me a cup of water, so I can take a drink.” As she went to get it, he called out to her, “Please bring me a piece of bread.” She said, “As certainly as the LORD your God lives, I have no food, except for a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. Right now I am gathering a couple of sticks for a fire. Then I’m going home to make one final meal for my son and myself. After we have eaten that, we will die of starvation.” Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go and do as you planned. But first make a small cake for me and bring it to me; then make something for yourself and your son. For this is what the LORD God of Israel says, ‘The jar of flour will not be empty and the jug of oil will not run out until the day the LORD makes it rain on the surface of the ground.’” She went and did as Elijah told her; there was always enough food for Elijah and for her and her family. The jar of flour was never empty and the jug of oil never ran out, just as the LORD had promised through Elijah.
(1 Kings 17:10-16 NET)


Parenting is such a difficult task and gets no easier as our children get older. As a father and husband (and now grandfather as well) my biggest desire is to provide for my family. I want them to have all they need and even a few wants. I want to provide comfortable shelter and transportation. I want to look in the pantry and see food on the shelves and open the refrigerator and see meat, fruit, milk, and other essentials. I want my wife and children to be dressed appropriately. It breaks my heart not to be able to meet a need of my family.

I understand the widow’s desire to feed her son. While I have never been as desperate as she was, I know what it’s like to have just one meal left in the cupboard. I know what it’s like to eat bologna for dinner and boxed macaroni and cheese for a vegetable! It’s been a while, but I do remember those days. One thing I did learn from it all: God provides as long as I give first to the things of God. As the lady met the needs of God’s servant Elijah, God met her needs for her family. It’s a question of trust in His Word and faith in a person, namely the Savor, Jesus Christ. We must choose to meet the desires of GOD AND HIS WORK FIRST!

“Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription are on it?” They said, “Caesar’s.” So he said to them, “Then give to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s,and to God the things that are God’s.”
(Luke 20:24-25 NET)


It is truly a leap of faith here lately in my life. I learned however, in past years when I struggled financially, to obey the Lord, not common sense! My money is not mine. My home and vehicles are provided by my DADDY. The food we eat and clothing we wear is by His providence, not my efforts. Because He taught me in the past how to be in need…and satisfied, I can look back today and be obedient. But it’s not easy!

I believe His Word when He says to trust Him to supply my needs, according to His riches in glory. I believe He’ll care for me and my family even more so than the lilies of the field and the birds of the air. It’s a challenge to continue to tithe, to give to mission work, to assist with those establishing churches, and to open up our home for the traveler or someone in need. But it is GOD AND HIS WORK FIRST!

I tell my six-year-old son I understand how hard it is to be good…to obey. He really doesn’t understand, but one day he will. I feel so inadequate when I can’t meet a need, when I have to say “I can’t” to my wife, children, or elderly parents. My wife and I have made a commitment to follow the Lord’s call and we trust and believe He will do His part. I also trust that He will allow us to be a light to others as well along the way. Some things I can do, but the rest I leave up to my DADDY. It’s not that I love people less…I just love the Lord more! It’s GOD AND HIS WORK FIRST!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...