Monday, May 5, 2008

00 05 08 Compassion

But a Samaritan who was traveling came to where the injured man was, and when he saw him, he felt compassion for him. He went up to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him, and whatever else you spend, I will repay you when I come back this way.’ Which of these three do you think became a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?” The expert in religious law said, “The one who showed mercy to him.” So Jesus said to him,
“Go and do the same.”
(Luke 10:33-37 NET)


This Samaritan was not bothered by tradition or ceremonial law. He was not restricted by standing within the church or the community. He was not concerned with what others would think about him if he stopped by this unknown, unconscious stranger and attempted to help. COMPASSION would not allow him to simply ride by without stopping to check on this helpless man. He could have hoped someone else would pass by and help. He had his plans after all. He could have left a sandwich and drink, placed a blanket on the man and called 911. He could have had his reasons like the previous men who passed by, but COMPASSION would not allow it. He stopped. He cared. He committed his resources of time, finances, and love.

“And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?”
(Micah 6:8 NKJV)


Love God…love our neighbor: very simple isn’t it? Love…Mercy…COMPASSION…It’s really not a question of who is my neighbor, but who is my God? If I claim to be a follower of the Risen Lord, then I must do the things He requires of me. COMPASSION requires an outreach of love, concern, and commitment: for the Lord, for His agenda, and for the people He loves…ALL people! Love on people as Jesus did…everybody, everyday, every hour.

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...