Monday, April 14, 2008

04 14 08 Can I Help You?

“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!”
(Psalm 133:1 NKJV)


Indeed it is a pleasure to get along together with family! Brethren is translated kindred in the NRSV and brothers and sisters in The Message. It’s a great feeling to be able to talk, joke, reminisce, and simply enjoy one another, isn’t it? In today’s culture however, the family is losing touch with one another. Children move away. Siblings become jealous of one thing or another and keep their distance. Caring for aging parents brings added stress and the realities of life…and death. Divorce and re-marriage has widened the chasm. Family unity takes work! Sadly, it is not much unity within the biological family today.

So how ‘bout within our church family: Is it any different? As for my experience, I can say I have been blessed beyond measure with a church family who truly treats me as a brother. They have been there with a kind word, a cheerful card, an encouraging phone call, financial assistance, food for the family when needed, and special trips to visit my wife and me when we have been hospitalized. My brothers and sisters have cared for our children when we’ve been away and they have even sent us on family vacations. Our Pastor and church elders are not simply the leaders of our church; we also call them friends and family. There is not a time of need that goes by without hearing in one form or another, “CAN I HELP YOU?” (It’s heart-felt as well).

I have also been blessed with a brotherhood (and sisterhood) of believers beyond my local church. Former co-workers nudged me into full-time ministry. Business men and women who love the Lord and have offered their services (many times pro-bono) to increase and improve what God is doing through TSN Ministries. Local politicians who love the Lord, have not been not ashamed to see His work funded. National ministry leaders have taken the time to lend their and personal at conferences. Even neighbors have encouraged us during casual conversations in the driveway of our home. We have felt the love and warmth and genuine concern of extended family as well. I must say, I know God’s love goes beyond the church building, beyond denominations, beyond race and gender, and beyond any other boundary we have tried to establish.

We are constantly hearing, “CAN I HELP YOU?” I am so humbled and even embarrassed at times. I will never get comfortable asking for support. It’s just not what I do. There are times when I am instructed to ask, so others can be blessed and be a part of His work and in doing so being obedient to God’s call to support the mandated work of the church to go and tell; making disciples.

So today, I ask, “CAN I HELP YOU?” Can I pray for you? Can I serve you in any way? To be called is one thing. To serve is what the Savior is all about. It’s why He came to earth, why He suffered, why He rose from the grave, and why He gave every believer His Spirit. Paul said it best for each of us:

“For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.”
(Galatians 5:13 NASB)

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...