Tuesday, April 8, 2008

04 08 08 Me Worry?

“And which of you by worrying can add an hour to his life?”
(Luke 12:25 NET)


Jesus had just shared the story of the rich landowner who had so much in his barns that he decided to sit back and simply enjoy life! He thought he had everything in control as all his physical needs were met. Little did he know his life would come to an end that very night and his biggest need, his relationship with God, was lacking. Where would all those physical possessions take him?

We plan. We store up. We build and buy bigger, better, more beautiful. We’re never satisfied. We believe we’re entitled to things because we work hard or worse yet, because we’re God’s children. I heard a remark on the radio one day: when will I hear a testimony that says after I was saved, things got worse? Enough of all the feel good stories, where everything works out and we live happily ever after. That’s not biblical. We’ll struggle here on earth. We’ll be tried, tempted, and tested. We’ll be stretched and strained. We will not always be lying on a bed of clovers. In fact, we may be forever pulling out the weeds! The TRUTH is that we will live happily in the hereafter…in heaven! That’s the promise…that’s life abundantly! Luke encourages us not to worry. ME WORRY?

“Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide yourselves purses that do not wear out – a treasure in heaven that never decreases, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
(Luke 33-34 NET)


I’m not going to lie to you. When I left my job with the Postal Service in 2003, I was worried! Would God really supply my needs? How hard would it be? Would I lose my home? How would we raise the money needed to build the vision God has given to us? Well, some of those questions have yet to be answered.

We “sold our possessions” in that we used all the finances we had available to us to fund the beginnings of our ministry. We do not know month to month if we can pay the mortgage. We have gone without health insurance off and on over the years; (more without it than with it). Yet we have made it through. God has provided our needs and then some. Our only real treasure is in heaven and with the hearts of the people who have cared for us. There are times when I still worry, but I can’t dwell upon it for too long. Ultimately, God will decide where I live, what I eat, what clothes I wear and when we’ll have the TSN Olde Towne Community.

No one can steal the treasures within my heart; the relationships with my DADDY, my wife, my children, my church family, and the experiences along the way. ME WORRY? I do, but not for long, because I have a barn in heaven with treasures promised for me there. I don’t need to store things up here, but send them on ahead!

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...