Friday, February 29, 2008

02 29 08 A Leap of Faith

“He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”
(John 15:2 NIV)


As I write on this leap day 2008, I am challenged to examine my faith and how far I am willing to go for my Savior. Am I satisfied with fire insurance: saved from an eternal hell and fire, or am I willing to take A LEAP OF FAITH and go beyond what the world calls faith?

John reminds us that the Lord is involved in our daily lives. Just as the farmer (or even we simple home gardeners) prepares the soil each year for a bright green lawn, savory fruit, bright flowers, and tasty vegetables, God too is seeking fertile ground in which to plant the Gospel and have it grow and produce fruit. As we have heard many times before, God is a fruit inspector!

It’s one thing to say I am saved. It’s a totally new and challenging way of life to say I am committed to bear fruit for Christ and willing to give Him full reign to turn over the soil of my heart and prune unneeded areas of my life. We don’t want to face the reality of being of no good use for Christ’s work. God has the right to cut us off, leave us to the consequences of our choices, and even remove us from this earth prematurely as the result of our refusal to submit our life to Him.

A real LEAP OF FAITH involves challenges, surrender, and at times, loneliness. It’s not always popular to forsake all others and follow Christ. At times our love for Christ and His plan will be perceived as hatred toward those we love here on earth. To produce fruit for the kingdom requires dirty and worn out knees, hard calloused hands, a broken and scarred heart, long hours, and adverse conditions. The pruning may cause some bleeding and bruising, but the healing and growth is energizing. The harvest is so plentiful, the blossoms so pleasant to behold, and the fruit so tasteful to the soul. Working God’s garden is a blessing and brings so much contentment.

Take that LEAP OF FAITH. Be ready to get the shoes muddy, the knees aching, and the hands cracked. It’s more than worth it……it’s obedience to DADDY!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...