Monday, February 25, 2008

02 25 08 Not at the Finish Line but not Where I Used to be Either

“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…”
(Philippians 3:13 NKJV)


“Brothers and sisters, I don't consider that I have taken hold of it yet. But here is the one thing I do. I forget what is behind me. I push hard toward what is ahead of me.”
(NIrV Version)


I am in no way at the finish line in my life with Christ. I have a long way to go in my relationship with my DADDY, His people, and the work He has me to do. One thing I have decided: I will no longer dwell on the past and who I was. I’ll leave that to others to worry about and just have that be a barometer of how far He has brought me! It will also serve to encourage me to keep pushing forward, knowing He has done so much in my life, compared to who I was B.C. (before Christ).

Paul lived his life in a single-minded fashion. No doubt he had a past to forget! The metaphor behind this verse is that of the runner. I enjoy the athletic metaphors and comparisons (being as former athlete). The expression single-minded is actually a single word in Greek, namely Jen. It refers to having one purpose, one and only one. There is no room for double-mindedness in this expression. As with the runner who must not look to the left or to the right, we must keep our focus on the goal, living for and serving Christ!

My high school basketball coach (since deceased) would say this concerning our athletic abilities: we either get better or worse; there is no standing still. As I apply this to my spiritual walk and relationship with my Savior, I choose to move forward! Looking back only causes me stress and disappointment. Lord knows, I don’t need that! We all know that people (even our fellow believers) may tend to recall our past: that’s on them!

So let’s be encouraged. If we have found ourselves slipping, we can go over our life and recall His goodness to us. We may need to regroup and get back in our lane, so to speak. We also need to surround ourselves with those who will hold us to the positive aspects of our growth in Christ and challenge us to keep reaching, pushing, and leaning forward, as one of my mentors has mentioned. The enemy would have us continually to look backward. He has no future and would like us to think the same. LIAR!!!!! In Christ, we know our future and it is to ensure our success. (Jeremiah 29:11) We have much to look forward to everyone!

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...