Thursday, January 31, 2008

How Much Should I Give?

"And many who were rich, put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans…“she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.” (Mark 12:41-44)

I guess if we have to add up how much we give to the Lord, it’s not worth giving. We know God loves a cheerful giver, on who is glad to give to the Lord’s work. Check out this poor widow. As she passed one of the receptacles in the Temple for taxes and offerings, she reached in her purse and put in all she had. She didn’t get out her calculator and figure out 10% of 1/40 of a penny (the value of two mites). She didn’t even consider 50% of what she had and put one in and keep the other for some food. No, she gave all she had to the Lord who gave her all she had…Jehovah Jirah! She had no problem trusting God to provide her needs.

Many are perplexed concerning tithing today. Some say it’s an Old Testament law. Some say 10% applies to one part of your salary and not another. Others say we can tithe our talents and time in place of finances. I say this: Christ gave it all for me, so when I begin to justify not giving, I have a problem concerning my relationship with Him! If the Jews had to give over 30% of their possessions in tithes and taxes, who are we to complain? After all, we know the Savior! We’ve seen and experienced His resurrection power. We’re not hoping anymore, are we?

My finances tell a lot about my relationship and commitment to the Lord. I look toward the day when I always have enough for my family to live comfortably, yet I always want to have money to give when someone is in need, when a missionary comes to town, when a child is raising money for his school project, or when a homeless lady needs a meal or some clothes. Limiting my giving to the church and various other ministries to a percentage limits my trust in God to provide. Oh, there is a minimum, but do we just “tip” God? How much I give is between me and God. However, I know one day He will hold me accountable!!! So, HOW MUCH SHOULD I GIVE?

Christ came to us to live a life of sacrifice and service. He came to minister to us. He came to give Himself for us. Be cause He first loved us, we now are to be willing and ready to love Him and others in return. If we looked in to our checkbooks today, or examined our on-line banking, what would it reveal? Do we look forward to giving as well?

If the widow could give all she had and trust God to provide, what’s that say about our level of trust…and love…and commitment to our Lord? HOW MUCH SHOULD I GIVE?

No comments:

Your will, not mine God . . . true freedom

. . .whoever commits sin is a slave of sin . And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever . Therefore if the ...