Wednesday, January 23, 2008

01 23 08 Closest Encounters

“I spread my hands out to you in prayer;
my soul thirsts for you in a parched land…May I hear about your loyal love in the morning, for I trust in you. Show me the way I should go,
because I long for you…Teach me to do what pleases you,
for you are my God. May your kind presence lead me into a level land…O LORD, for the sake of your reputation, revive me…for I am your servant.”
(Psalm 143:6-12 NET)


Here the psalmist seems to be recalling some troublesome times; perhaps with family issues, enemy attacks, or even personal struggles within himself. I remember the times when the Lord was all I had. Remember those times? Perhaps you’re going through one of those times now? Things seem so challenging; situations so dire; people seemed so distant; it seems as though just the Lord and me! As we go through, it is so lonely and trying, but as we look back, such times seem as our most rewarding and our CLOSEST ENCOUNTERS with the Lord.

We get so comfortable in this life, surrounded by the things we like, the people we like and the situations we like. We go to great lengths to make things comfortable for our family and ourselves. It’s when we have nothing that we realize God is everything. It’s when we run out of answers when we realize God has all the answers. It’s when we’re broke that we realize how we rich we are in Christ. It’s when we’re all alone…even in the midst of a crowd, that we realize that there is no friend like Jesus.

Jesus indeed sticks closer than any brother and He was born for adversity. But He is also the Bright and Morning Star and our King of Glory! He leads us through the valley of the darkest shadows and walks with us through the fiercest storm, until we hear “Peace…be still”. Where is there a better place than in the middle of storm holding onto the hand of the Master? At the foot of the cross…looking into my Savior’s eyes…knowing the battle has been won…as He groaned triumphantly, “It is finished!

I thank God for the things He and He alone has provided for me and my family and kept us. I am so blessed to have a beautiful and intelligent wife, my life partner, my heart, and best friend, as well as children who care for me deeply and bring me so much joy. I am so grateful for the church family He has given to me who have become my closest friends. But nothing can compare to my relationship with my Jesus. Only He knows my deepest pain and torment. He knows my heart’s desires before they are expressed, if ever. He hears me when everyone is asleep, too busy, or unavailable. He always understands.

In celebration or in consolation, my CLOSEST ENCOUNTERS are with Jesus. May He lead us, guide us, correct us, challenge us, teach us, and revive us each and every day.

Lord, “I spread my hands out to you in prayer; for I am your servant!”

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...