Thursday, January 10, 2008

01 10 08 Abhor the Sin, not the Sinner

“But when they saw it, they all complained, saying,
‘He has gone to be a guest with a man who is a sinner’."
(Luke 19:7 NKJV)


I like the Message’s version: “Everyone who saw the incident was indignant and grumped, ‘What business does he have getting cozy with this crook?’" Man, doesn’t that sound like something we’d say? Imagine if someone saw me speaking to a known drug dealer on the street or having lunch with a young lady with a rather shady reputation. I can only think of my experience aiding the Katrina redevelopment projects in New Orleans as we did just those things.

Here at home, we would report the drug dealer, shun the young lady, and not think of being seen with such sinners! But are we looking at them with the eyes of the Savior? Do we see what He sees? Oh, how I pray for His heart’s desire to be mine!

While I agree, we must have safeguards set up to protect our integrity and never do anything (especially in the dark or behind closed doors) to tempt anyone to sin or to encourage sin, but we need to reach the sinner nonetheless. Many of us have fallen into the risky habit of abhorring sinners and refusing to associate with such folk. Do we need a reminder of who we really are without Christ? Has it been that long? Has the mirror shrunken so small? We are called to ABHOR THE SIN, NOT THE SINNER!

“For the Son of man came to make search
for those who are wandering from the way, and to be their Saviour”
(Luke 19:10 BBE).


I really like the Bible in Basic English version of Luke 19:10. Jesus came to search for those who are wandering around, lost, and He came to be their Savior! No matter the sin, Jesus calls us all to repentance. If we are to truly be His representatives, why do we choose the sinners we want to reach? I wonder how many remain lost simply because we did not find them good enough to speak to. I thank God that the members of my church consistently pursued me!

Let the Lord work through us and guide us as to whom we should reach, rather than we do the choosing. May our prayer be for the Lord to lead us and direct us to those He knows need to hear. May His words speak through us and His love reach the hearts of those we meet. Lord, give us a love for sinners and a passion to reach them for Your glory?

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...