Wednesday, January 2, 2008

01 02 08 Awake My Soul

“Awake, my soul!
Awake, O stringed instrument and harp!
I will wake up at dawn!”
(Psalm 57:8 NET)


David, even in the midst of hiding from Saul, commits to praising God with all he has. He will not be depressed and bemoan over his situation, but rise up early in the morning and shout praises to His God. Wake up the dawn! Awake, my very soul! God deserves our praise……simply because He is God! It’s no time to be sleep-walking through life. It is only the grace of God that keeps us alive and protected from the wrath our sin deserves.

Jonathan Edwards said “There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God. (His sovereign pleasure)” It is His grace that saves us and His grace alone. This by itself deserves our daily praise!!! Because of His love for us, we can obtain His grace through faith in Christ, and escape His wrath, receiving eternal life with Him. Praise God!!!! But it is not to be taken lightly….is it enough to AWAKE MY SOUL and yours?


“Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance.”
(Psalm 42:5 NKJV)


The Psalmist writes in exile form his people, yet he still has hope in the living God. It has been said that we don’t really know what we have in God until God is ALL we have. This is so true. We come to trust in things, in friends, even in our church, and we forget the One who supplies everything we have. Until we find our selves at the foot of the cross, alone and looking up, we will never be in a more secure, yet humbling position. There is no better place to be. AWAKE, MY SOUL and realize where my hope and trusts lie!

Many are simply a nudge away from hell and we watch them slipping away. We who have experienced His grace and mercy abuse it day by day. How long will we continue to sleep walk through this life, simply waiting to be taken home? How long will we ignore His presence? When will we commit to the One who committed so much to save our very soul? As those around us doubt, disgrace, and even deny the existence of our God, it is time indeed to AWAKE MY SOUL! It begins with you and me……today!

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...