Wednesday, November 28, 2007

11 28 07 Waiting is not Wasting (III)
My God!

Why are you depressed, O my soul? Why are you upset? Wait for God! For I will again give thanks to my God for his saving intervention.”
(Psalm 42:11)


Check out how C.H. Spurgeon saw this passage:

(Of Psalm 42) It is the cry of a man far removed from the outward ordinances and worship of God, sighing for the long loved house of his God; and at the same time it is the voice of a spiritual believer, under depressions, longing for the renewal of the divine presence, struggling with doubts and fears, but yet holding his ground by faith in the living God. Most of the Lord's family have sailed on the sea which is here so graphically described. It is probable that David's flight from Absalom may have been the occasion for composing this Maschil.
(Of verse 11)In the rehearsal of his sorrow, he finds after all no sufficient ground for being disquieted. Looked in the face, his fears were not so overwhelming as they seemed when shrouded in obscurity. Hope thou in God. Let the anchor still keep its hold. God is faithful, God is love, therefore there is room and reason for hope. Who is the health of my countenance, and my God. This is the same hopeful expression as that contained in verse five, but the addition of and my God shows that the writer was growing in confidence, and was able defiantly to reply to the question, "Where is thy God?" Here, even here, he is, ready to deliver me. I am not ashamed to own him amid your sneers and taunts, for he will rescue me out of your hands. Thus faith closes the struggle, a victor in fact by anticipation, and in heart by firm reliance. The saddest countenance shall yet be made to shine, if there be a taking of God at his word and an expectation of his salvation.
"For yet I know I shall him praise; Who graciously to me, the health is of my countenance, Yea, mine own God is he." 1


Mr. Surgeon emphasizes the fact that David was very personal with his God. and “growing in confidence”! David just knew God would rescue him again, because He had done it before and David trusted God with the details! He had to deal with the inner voice raising doubts, but also as Spurgeon points out, there were those around him who would ask, “Where is your God now?”

How real is this to you and me? Oh, how we doubt God at times when the money is less than the monthly bills; when our child’s illness lingers on, or when a relationship does not seem to be salvageable. How do we answer the whispers, “Where is His God now?”

Let me tell you about “MY GOD”! He’s is my Rock and my salvation. He is my friend and He does stick closer than a brother. He is my comforter, my healer, my sustainer, my supplier, my lawyer, my doctor, my banker, my God is!!! How can I say this? It’s simple: He has been there before for me and I know He will be there again! He says it and He never forgets me!

You see, unless we have been through something with our God, we can’t say He’s been there and we can’t sat He’ll be there in the future. But as we go through and experience His faithfulness, we come to trust Him more and more. There is nothing like being in the middle of the storm and holding onto the hand of the One controlling it!

Thank God for the storms as well as the calm, breezy days of life. WAITING IS NOT WASTING, when I’m waiting on MY GOD! Joy is coming……


1 Spurgeon, C.H., TREASURY OF DAVID, PSALM 42, http://www.biblebb.com/

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...