Tuesday, July 17, 2007

07 17 07 No Control


“Consequently the LORD provides safety for the oppressed;
He provides safety in times of trouble.
Your loyal followers trust in you
for you, LORD, do not abandon those who seek your help.”
(Psalm 9:9-10 NET)

David praises God for delivering him from hostile nations. He celebrates God’s sovereignty and justice, and calls on others to join him in boasting of God’s greatness. God’s safety is an elevated place for times in trouble. Here an elevated place refers to a stronghold, a defensible, secure position that represents a safe haven in times of unrest or distress. When we have NO CONTROL, God is still in control. In fact, when we have lost control, or given up control, we are finally in position to trust God to take control. When things are going well, we tend to leave Him out, don’t we?

“And the LORD, He is the one who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed."
(Deuteronomy 31:8 NKJV)

Moses reminded the people that God would be with them in times of battle, when things look dreadful. Just as He has delivered them in the past, He will be faithful to do the same in the present and in the future. It’s the same for us today, yet we have the Holy Spirit with us constantly, if we only trust Him more!

“So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper;
I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
(Hebrews 13:6, NIV)

I have come to learn that the closest I feel to Christ is when I am in the toughest storm; right in the middle of mess, leaning, no clinging to my Savior, my Rock, my shelter, my fortress, my high and mighty stronghold! It’s then that I realize I really have NO CONTROL! I need the Lord for everything I need!

If I want a healthier relationship with my wife, I need the Lord. If I want to improve my skills as a father, I need the Lord. If I desire to serve the Lord and others to His glory, then I can’t do without Him being in total control. If I have no control, then I can allow God total control. God can’t be my co-pilot, He must have the wheel!

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...