Tuesday, July 3, 2007

07 03 07 Freedom to Say “NO!”

“How blessed is the one who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand in the pathway with sinners, or sit in the assembly of scoffers! Instead, he finds pleasure in obeying the Lord’s commands…..he succeeds in everything he attempts.”
(Psalm 1:1-3 NET)


Our family is participating in a Bible study/memorization program at our church and this happens to be our first memory text. How appropriate. This Hebrew wisdom psalm advises us to guard our associations, remain loyal to the word of God, and find happiness as a result of following His path. We can easily find ourselves on the downward spiral of listening to, hanging out with, and eventually becoming partners with the ungodly.

One of the biggest and most effective freedoms we have as Christians and as Americans is the freedom to say “NO!” Mr. Tom Nelson is quoted as saying that “Lust is the ever increasing desire for ever-decreasing pleasure.” [1] We have so many choices to make nearly every minute of the day: what to eat, where to go, who to talk to, what to watch, what to listen to, where to work, where to attend church, the list goes on. With such a smorgasbord of activities, we sometimes don’t know how or when to say “NO!” Some things we should never be associated with at all. Other activities we can handle in moderation. Still other choices are as innocent as a new-born baby, but not many!

Peer pressure affects each of us, young and old, Christian and non-believer, male or female. We are influenced by those around us, what they do, and what they have. It seems to be human nature to keep up with the Jones! Trouble is, the Jones don’t care how much trouble we get into while keeping up with them!

My Pastor quotes from an unknown author often and I appreciate the reminder every time:
Sin will take you farther than you ever want to stray;
Sin will leave you so lost; you’ll never find your way;
Sin will keep you longer than you ever thought you’d stay;
Sin will cost you more than you ever thought you’d pay!

So as we celebrate freedom, I thank God for the discipline I received from my parents, teachers, coaches, and others along the way. I am so thankful for the specific teaching I have and still receive daily from so many Godly men and women He has placed around me today. My wife keeps a good eye on me as well, praise the Lord!

I thank Him for the freedom to sayNO”, in a day and age where it is so easy to say, “YES”. Know my heart, try my thoughts, and lead me Lord, along Your path for my life!



[1] Jeffrey Miller, Hazards of Being a Man, Baker Books, Grand Rapids, MI, 2007

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...