Tuesday, June 26, 2007

06 26 07 Down Doesn’t Have to Mean Out

“And do this because we know the time, that it is already the hour for us to awake from our sleep, for our salvation is now nearer than when we became believers……make no provision for the flesh to arouse its desires.” (Romans 13:11-14)


I want to think that invisible eternal work is being done in an otherwise thankless and fruitless segment of ministry. Our actions are important. We have to see the entire picture, not just our segment of life’s story.

One split decision can turn a family, a nation, even all mankind upside down. We know Adam’s decision all too well. Remember Achan (Joshua 6-7) and how his greed caused the annihilation of his family and God’s judgment upon Israel? The Bible is also filled with examples of those who have obeyed, stood their ground, and passed the test, bringing blessings to many.

We as a Christian race are indeed a community. Paul encourages us to have a sense of belonging to one another, devotion to one another, harmony with one another, and love toward one another (Romans 12-13). This is rather easy when things are going well!

I struggle when I feel down and out, invisible, and ineffective. My human nature is to recoil and stay within my comfort zone. I don’t want to face another failure, risk rejection, or having to prove myself all over again. I believe the lie that I am only effective when good things are happening. God tells me that down doesn’t have to mean out however!

Many of our most effective days are when we face doubt, failure, and unplanned occurrences. It’s how we present ourselves when things are going wrong is often the best witness of our faith that we present to people. When our work seems the most fruitless, when life is throwing one curve after another, when plan after plan falls through, others are still watching. The enemy would love to see us throw in the towel. I choose to press on! Not for me, but for others and for my Jesus!

Jesus walked the long hard road to the cross. Things looked bleak: false accusations, beatings, mocking, physical pain and weakness, and then------the cross. Oh, the CROSS! “Where is your God now?” they sill ask. My answer, “He's not on the cross. He’s on the throne!” It’s not my job to figure things out, just keep being faithful.

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...