Monday, June 18, 2007

06 18 05 Keep on Using Me……Until You Use Me Up!

“…..but whoever desires to be great among you, let him be your servant……just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve,
and to give His life a ransom for many.”
(Matthew 20:26-28)

Whether it’s the washing of a friend’s feet (as Jesus demonstrated), sharing a meal with a homeless man, or opening up our home for someone in need, we need to be servants. Personally, I know I look to receive more than I look for opportunities to give! Those of you who are near my age or older may remember a Bill Withers song years ago which stated the songwriter’s desire for his female companion to “keep on using me, until you use me up”. While I do not condone or recommend allowing anyone to be used in any relationship, I do want the Lord using me to His glory!

I may feel tired; I may feel a little desperate and alone; I may be feeling stretched beyond my belief; yet if it is the Lord using me, He may keep on using me, until He uses me up! I am growing in faith to experience God providing all our needs at the moment He decides we need them. I am also seeing that I can do much more than I ever imagined, as long as I allow Christ and His Spirit to do the decision making in my life.

“Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them;
for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”
(Matthew 19:14)

In our work with at-risk children and their families, we have seen the innocence of a child; wide-eyed and searching, believing without doubt, just as we should be in our relationship with the Lord. Who are we to think a child is not ready, not knowledgeable, or not old enough? God holds us accountable to what we know and that begins with a basic knowledge of Him and Jesus’ sacrifice upon the cross for a sinful human being like you and me. Upon that belief, we add more knowledge of Christ as we grow in our fellowship with the Father through Christ and the Body of Christ. We share with the kids to trust a God they don’t really know yet and yet we don’t trust Him? What an opportunity to demonstrate our faith in action, as we tell others about it.

When someone needs help and we can provide it, we need to do it. As God has graced us with provisions, who are we to hold back? Do I not believe He’ll open up the windows of heaven with His provisions for our needs, as I give, not only to the church, but to people in need? Bring on the kids. Bring on the families. Let’s meet their needs. Let’s be family once again and let DADDY have control of matters in our lives!

No comments:

Anxious? Fearful? Unsure? Seek His PEACE minute by minute.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the...