Thursday, June 7, 2007

06 07 07 And Then the Floods Come……

“When a flood came, the river burst against that house
but could not shake it,
because it had been well built.”
(Luke 6:48)


Safety, security, serenity: is it a reality in life today? Every day we step out of bed, we face danger lurking around the corner. So how do we live in peace? How can we have joy? How can we attack the day, knowing the fan is blowing and things will definitely hit that fan sometime during the day? Whether it’s an issue at work, our children, our parents, even the once simple commute to work, stuff happens! We are cruising through the day and BAM; THEN THE FLOODS COME!

As Jesus was in the process of choosing disciples from among His followers and instructing them how to be “blessed”, or happy, in life, one thing stands out: being in the will of God gives us a sure foundation, able to withstand any physical or emotional storm. It’s one thing to have peace knowing we are secure for eternity, but to have peace while here on earth is quite another experience. In the middle of a storm, I want Jesus right there with me, holding onto me as I hold onto Him. I want the One who created the sea and calmed the sea to be calming and controlling me!

“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord’, and don’t do what I tell you?” (Luke 6:46)

So how do I stay in His will and stay safe, secure, and serene? I must not say, “Not so Lord” as Peter did (Acts 10:14). I must not say “I can handle this Lord” when a matter arises, but trust Him in small and big issues alike. I must respond as Paul did in Acts 9:6: “Lord, what wilt you have me to do?” Nothing less than obedience will keep me grounded!

I want to leave a legacy that is written somewhat like this: He trusted the Lord throughout his life, caring for others and wanting for nothing, and THEN THE FLOODS CAME: and he stood firm in His faith and trust in His Lord. I desire to respond as Job did and continue to trust Him matter what I’m going through, as difficult as it may be? Who else can say, “Peace be still!” and everything is suddenly still?

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...