Thursday, May 31, 2007

05 31 07 Remain Faithful

“Moreover, it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.” (1 Corinthians 4:2)

The servant (oikonomos), or in this case the house manager, is required to be faithful (pistos; sure, true, trustworthy). The slave (steward) is subordinate to the master. He must give an account for which he carries out his masters orders.

We are simply God’s stewards of the things He has entrusted to us, whether it is our household, our marriage, our children, our finances, or the ministry He has designed specifically for us. We can’t change His will and what He desires to accomplish through us. We can’t short-circuit it, however, and stop the work by being unfaithful, disobedient, and unfit to do His work. We must be found reliable and trustworthy to carry out the task of our Master and Lord, as His slave and steward. We all will have to give an account of our deeds and intentions.

It is my deepest desire and prayer that I be found faithful in His calling upon my life to serve at-risk children and their families. Times seem so challenging recently and I can’t help but feel inadequate, even to the point of failure, as funds dwindle and the work suffers. Is it something I am doing that is unfaithful, or is it simply a test of my faith, to mature and strengthen me in my commitment to Him? I want my love and commitment to Christ to be superior to any other commitment or relationship I have, but yet I don’t want my family to suffer. I need to feel His presence, His comfort, His guidance!

“Then each one’s praise will come from God.” (1 Corinthians 4:5)

As we do God’s work, we all must be careful to seek only His praise. The world will tell you and me that we are failures, not worthy, and incompetent to work for God, after all the terrible things we have done. At times the world will also build us up and have us believe we are more than we really are! His will and His ways many times will not make sense to anyone but Him and whom He is speaking to. I’ve learned over the years what it’s like to be popular, to be rejected, to be used, to be talked-about, to be falsely accused, to be well-supported, and then left alone. We (I) must be careful to seek His face, His truth, His praise! I, in particular, must realize that that may not come until I see Him face to face---and that’s ok! I must, however, REMAIN faithful.

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...