Tuesday, May 22, 2007

05 22 07 Experience is the Best Teacher


“Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, all of whose works are truth, and His ways justice. And those who walk in pride He is able to put down (humble).” (Daniel 4:37 NKJV)

Ignorance and Arrogance-------------------

Acceptance and Obedience-----------------

Boy have I learned and am still learning this lesson: I can be ignorant and arrogant (“hyperphroneo” or above-minded in the Greek), thinking that God needs to comply with my desires and fulfill my needs, because of what I’ve done for Him, or I can accept and obey His will for me and find true peace, contentment, and fulfillment. Experience is the best teacher, at least it has been in my walk with Christ.

As I grow (I do hope I am growing) I realize that I am indeed crucified with Christ and my success comes only as I allow Him to live through me. The more I allow the Spirit to control my thoughts, plans, and decisions, the more successful and happy (blessed) I become. The more I learn to be content with the things God allows for me, the more peace I find in Him and with others.

Paul warns each of us

“not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think,
but to think soberly,
as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.” (Romans 12:3)

I really struggle on both ends at times: feeling guilt in accepting the good things He gives to me (my wife, children, home, friends, and vacations), thinking I don’t deserve them and then asking “why Lord”, when the suffering, heartaches, and disappointments seem too unbearable. We were able to share a time of fellowship with a local taxi driver in St. Thomas (while on our anniversary cruise) and he shared a prayer card with us as we parted. It was such good timing (God’s timing) as the prayer concentrated on trusting God. The man had no idea the struggles we face, but God does. As part of the prayer states, “Therefore, I stand back and allow You, O Lord, to take over and take charge of my battles to bring me to an expected end-----I thank You in advance for my victory-----I rest in Your peace, knowing that You know how to deliver the righteous.”

May I allow the Teacher to give me the experiences I need to serve Him better and use them to allow others to see His grace, His goodness, and His love so they may also know Him and know Him more closely.

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...