Monday, April 2, 2007

Were You There?

“Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” (Matthew 27:46)


Were you there when Jesus cried out, “My God, My God, why have you abandoned Me?” We all were actually! When Jesus felt the burden and anguish of our sin, the Father turned His face from Jesus and Jesus, for the first time in all eternity, felt alone, abandoned, and separated from God. God didn’t die on the cross, Jesus the human being did. His flesh died a human death and was raised by the power of God three days later. As the Lord became a sin offering for us, He suffered the pain for us. Now we no longer have to bear the death of sin, because of Christ’s perfect sacrifice on the cross for each of us.

Think of the pain and shame we feel when deep in sin? We feel alone, separated, as if no one seems to care. Now imagine Christ, eternally one with the Father and the Holy Spirit, suddenly torn from that relationship and for the first time feeling the pain of sin! No wonder He cried out! Sin left Him feeling abandoned as it does to us. So now we can understand a little of how Jesus felt. It’s the same way I felt when I finally cried out to God, “Please save me! Where are You God? Why don’t You help me?” Only Jesus didn’t just feel the pain and consequences of my sin, but the sin of all mankind!

Now I understand why You cried out Jesus. How lonely You must have been. Hung on a cross for all to see. Beaten beyond recognition for something You never did. Ridiculed for sacrificing heaven’s bliss for my disgusting acts. Oh, now I know how You must have felt…yet You said nothing! You did it all for me. I deserved it all, not You. Please forgive me Jesus. Now what can I do for You?

Jesus did let us know what we could do. After God raised Him from the dead, he met with His disciples and instructed them,

“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations…teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 27:19-20)

We don’t keep Christ on the cross! We who have received His resurrection power, being saved by His blood, should now walk in such a way that teaches others all He has done for us, so they too may know Him in the forgiveness of their sins. If we died with Him, let’s live with Him and for Him! We have good news to share! Let others know, YOU WERE THERE!

No comments:

Holy Week '24 . . . be used gladly!

Do everything without grumbling or arguing , so that you may become blameless and pure , “children of God without fault in a warped and cro...