Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A Thorough Cleansing

“Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.” (Psalm 51:2)

Wash me…cleanse me…not simply the sin! I find myself asking God to forgive my sins more often than I ask Him to forgive me! True repentance requires a desire to change from the inside out. It requires an inner change…a true change of heart! To truly repent is to turn away from the sinful activity and walk in a newness of life, despising the sin and hating the activity itself and how we are when in that sin!

Charles Spurgeon said, “The hypocrite is content if his garments be washed; but the true suppliant (petitioner) cries, ‘wash me’.” Through the blood of Christ, our whole entire debt is washed away, every stain cleansed. We should desire to be completely cleansed when seeking forgiveness with no secret lusts hidden within the recesses of our hearts. Satan would have us believe we are held bound, but Christ sets us free from all sin! Christ’s sacrifice was complete and our cleansing is whole. Let us desire not just for the sin to be forgiven, but that our hearts be cleansed and our minds be set free to live as that visible sacrifice unto the Father so others may see and want it for themselves.

Remember Peter, just as Jesus was about to wash his feet before sharing the last meal with His disciples?

“If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!” (John 13:8-9)

He would have no part of Jesus lowering Himself to wash his feet. Yet when he found out the “washing” was a sign of partnership with Christ, Peter desired a thorough cleansing! Do we want simply a topical antiseptic or the entire illness wiped away? “Wash me, Lord!!!”

No comments:

Reassurance . . . Encouragement

Sometimes we all need some reassurance . I know I do lately.  “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing k...