Wednesday, April 25, 2007

04 25 07 A Trusted Friend

“A friend loves at all times, and a relative is born to help in adversity.”
(Proverbs 17:17 NET)

While I am getting used to reading the NET bible, there are some words that seem a bit casual for me. The KJV says there’s a difference between a friend (“rea” or “reya” in Strong’s Hebrew) associate or companion, and a brother (“ach”, Strong’s Hebrew) or kindred, one with a resemblance. I’ve learned over the years the meaning of true brotherhood. Just because someone is related to you, doesn’t mean they really care or are capable of caring! Friends are a definitely a blessing and make life enjoyable. However, a real brother, one who has a kindred spirit with me and really can get in the trenches with me, is truly born for those trying times, when friendships are tested! This is when relationship takes over!

A brother is built out of friendship. The relationship grows upon each experience. We choose friends based upon companionship, shared interests, and congeniality. The true friend, a brother, is available wherever and whenever needed! Only real adversity allows for such a conjunction of spirits! One may have many friends, but just a few real brothers. It takes much time and sacrifice to be a kindred spirit.

I thank God for all my friends and family. Lord knows how much I’ve relied upon each of you at times, even for our daily sustenance. However, the Lord has provided even more than a few brothers (and sisters too!) and for that I am truly blessed! Many of you have gotten real dirty with me and my struggles and challenges: thank you so much! I hope and pray to be that brother to my wife, my children, and others and I am willing to put in the time as well.

I may not be the every weekday at 5:00 am kind of a brother, but if you need me at 5:00 am, call me! I can’t promise you I’ll be able to go with you every Saturday on an outreach, but if you need me next Saturday, please ask me. Because the ministry God has called us to may be challenging at times, it doesn’t mean I’m not available to you or to my church. I’m busy, yet not that busy to ignore a need! Please ASK! Jesus was busy, yet He had time for the Samaritan woman, the government official’s daughter, for Lazarus’ and his sisters, and for you and me as He prayed in the garden. I want to be a trusted friend and a proven brother! I believe it’s the best way to reflect Jesus to others.

No comments:

Yes vs No . . . Do not cheat God and family!

But my eyes are fixed on You, Sovereign Lord; in You, I take refuge—do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the traps set by evil...