Friday, March 30, 2007

Slow to Speak

"Great men are not always wise, nor do the aged always understand justice."
(Job 32:9)


Elihu, the youngest of Job’s friends has sat by quietly, listening to all the wise and aged men, and out of respect, he has been silent. Finally he has heard enough of the talk of blaming Job, blaming God, and even how good and righteous Job keeps saying he is! He has been slow to speak and now he respectfully confronts the men with wisdom...in love.

"And I have heard the sound of your words saying; ‘I am pure, without transgression; I am innocent, and there is no iniquity in me’…For God is greater than man."
(Job 33:9-12)


Elihu dares to confront Job and the other men with the Word of God. Who is good but God? Who can possibly say they understand all of God’s ways? We all are filthy rags before a holy God and have no right to justify our actions before Him. Yet, we do it often!!! We really think we deserve God’s blessings. I deserve the fine house, the nice car, healthy kids and a beautiful wife. I am entitled to a pay raise and a luxurious vacation. I deserve that position over the other guy. After all, I’m not as bad as most folks!!! Oh really... I have to check myself daily, because I actually deserve nothing but death and hell after how I’ve treated my Savior. After all He’s done for me; all I can do is cry out for mercy!

"At this my heart trembles, and leaps from its place…As for the Almighty, we cannot find Him; He is excellent in power, in judgment and abundant justice…therefore men fear Him…" (Job 37:1, 23-24)

I am so glad others have cared enough to confront me in love, according to God’s Word. Someone loved me enough to sit me down and challenge me to be obedient, repent, and turn from a wicked lifestyle. Even today, we all need a small group of friends whom we trust will not allow us to get to high and mighty that we forget where we came from and Whose we are now! Personally, do we fear God enough to stand for His ways and hold one another accountable in our lifestyles? Does our heart still tremble and leap in His presence? Let’s not get too comfortable…

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...