Friday, March 30, 2007

03 20 07 But We Don’t Do It That Way!
"This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me, and they worship in vain, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." (Matthew 15:8-9)
The Jewish leaders and experts questioned Jesus about His disciples’ actions; He answered them with His own question: "Why do you disobey the commandment of God…?" Doesn’t this conversation sound familiar among people today? Why do they sing those kinds of songs in church? How can they go to church dressed like that? I just don’t like the way they do things at that church! Instead of seeing the heart of worship, we see the outside. Some people and churches are more caught up in looking right and saying the right things, that they are worshipping in vain, following the doctrines and traditions of the churches, not the teachings of Jesus.
" ‘Why do your disciples disobey the tradition of the elders?’ " (Matthew 15:2)
Better yet, today we will more likely here this question: "Why do Jesus’ disciples disobey His ways?" I remember growing up in traditional denominational church and being told it was a sin to step foot in another denominations’ church. I assume that was because of doctrine and beliefs. Then, when I began to coach the church basketball teams, I began to hear whispers of who was on the team and why our team members weren’t church members. Some of you know where I am going with this. I began to see a different Gospel, on re that was preached and a totally different one lived out! Doctrine is one thing, but the heart is what Christ desires … a heart that worships in spirit and truth, in our daily living, without hypocrisy! I wonder how the lady at the well would be treated today if we met her at McDonalds! I wonder if we would read to the Ethiopian today if the Lord placed us next to him in the subway. If we saw the Jew homeless in the streets tonight, would we doctrinally sound and born-again believers walk past him, crossing to the other side of the street, or would we be a Good Samaritan?
How often do we disobey the teachings of our Savior, only to uphold the traditions of our culture? Oh, but we don’t do it that way anymore! So whose way are we following?
Open the eyes of my heart Lord. I want to see you. I want to worship You in the way I live. I want to honor You and represent You well. See my heart. Try my thoughts. Test my words. Purify my life for Your sake! Your will be done; not mine, not man’s!!!

No comments:

Stay focused!

Stay focused . . . Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the ...